Last edited by Salty87; 11-03-2008 at 01:11 PM.
the stringers were rotted at the notches made to support the cross-frames, and pretty much everywhere else. notching appears to be the kiss of death unless you do a better job than the factory...i did not notch my new stringers. i built small bulkheads that ran between the stringers to add support for the new floor instead.
building it back up
drainage, i added limber holes to let water out
i also made blocks out of flotation foam, water can get away from the foam so it won't ever get saturated again. i poured the foam into trash bags that lined each area. the trash bag peels off leaving a perfectly molded block.
the bulkheads were cut to allow water to flow under them. there's also a forward limber hole in the inner stringer in this pic, small tube near the bottom of the stringer just forward of the engine area. since i was working outside, i got to test the drainage system a time or 2...jack the trailer all the way up and then all the way down and the water will get moved to either the forward or rear drainage holes to the bilge.
the cross-brace running across the bilge is to replace the frame of the factory tow bar. it was always in the way and didn't want to mess with it.
Last edited by Salty87; 11-03-2008 at 05:48 PM.
putting engine back together
hull's ready and waiting
still needs a rub rail
454's rebuilt, repainted, and ready
rub rail wasn't too hard
the carpet is textured, from ingles carpet.
i got my fiberglassing supplies online at uscomposites
i had a shop rebuild the engine
i cleaned/painted/or replaced everything that went back in. skidim cleaned up on this project.
i still need new upholstery and have no plans on learning how.
ok, not completely done...i'm using interlux perfection on my tower. no room in the budget for powder coating. this is a primer before the jet black goes on
forgot this one. this was a fun day
note the formerly flat black tower on the deck
the 40 gal gas tank on the deck
and the rear storage compartment on top of the gas tank
kudo's to mrs. salty for living with our boat spread throughout the house/yard for the past year.
Last edited by Salty87; 11-03-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Awesome work. Not sure about putting the carpet in before the engine.... I did it vice versa just in case there was any oil or other things leaking/issues. The one corner I cut was not painting my engine after the rebuild.... you just made me regret that.
Also... what did you use on the fiberglass? Looks great!
i didn't want to lay the carpet over/around the engine. i thought it would be easier with nothing in the way. the edges of the engine compartment got a little dirty from forearms and tools but the engine cover hides it.
i used 3m stuff on the gel coat with a harbor freight buffer, wool pads.
3m heavy duty marine compound
3m finesse it II polish (amazing stuff, worth the price)
3m boat wax
Last edited by Salty87; 11-03-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Beautiful work! I have a 2002 (all fiberglass). I am hoping I never have to go to this extent. I am just about ready for new interior, maybe one more season. Other than that The boat is holding up great. You really did a great job on this! Congratulations!
2002 Supra Launch 22
Looks like you did a very nice job, I have done this work twice in the last 20 years and hope to never do it again.I have a 2002 Launch SS so there is no wood in the floor or stringers.Its a nice feeling when a large project is completed,enjoy your accomplishment and enjoy your rebuilt boat.